Metal Panel Rainscreen Systems
Aluminum Plate and Composite Aluminum Panel (CMP) with it wide variety of colors and finishes, have become an important tool in that architects arsenal to achieve a wide variety of aesthetic. Traditionally, metal panels have been attached to a back up system or glazed into curtainwall and “wet sealed”. This sealant is performing the role of both “rainscreen” and “air barrier". The popularity of ventilated rainscreen systems have found there favor for Metal Panels as well. The key benefit is the elimination of the joint sealer, which requires maintenance, collects dirt and can stain or discolor the metal panels. Additionally the natural ventilation adds to the longevity and thermal performance of the façade.
NEC is a leader in metal panel rainscreen installations, having developed strong backed and curtainwall backed open joint rainscreen systems. We provide designers and construction managers with detail assistance, budgeting, coordination, and ultimately the installation of metal panel rainscreen system.
Rainscreen systems in general all share the following benefits:
- Eliminates exposed sealants at critical transitions (less maintenance).
- Dramatically reduces air infiltration through pressure equalization as well as more effective air barrier placement.
- Eliminate mold/mildew from interior space.
- Back ventilation allows for quick moisture evaporation, thereby extending the life of the cladding, insulation, subframing.
- Air space behind the claddings, dissipates radiant heat through the chimney effect.
- Year-round installation, since all parts are mechanically fastened.