Stone Rainscreen Systems
Natural building stone has been used on facades for centuries. Granite, Limestone, Marble and other natural stones offer the aesthetic architects desire and the longevity owner’s demand. Traditionally, stone has been “mortor set” to a back up system or “wet sealed” into curtainwall systems.
The popularity of ventilated rainscreen systems have found there favor for stone as well. The key benefit is the elimination of the joint sealer, whether it is sealant or mortar, which requires maintenance, and can stain or discolor the stone materials. Additionally the natural ventilation adds to the longevity and thermal performance of the façade.
NEC is a leader in Stone rainscreen installations, having developed strong backed and curtainwall backed open joint rainscreen systems. We provide designers and construction managers with detail assistance, budgeting, coordination, and ultimately the installation of stone rainscreen systems.
Rainscreen systems in general all share the following benefits:
- Eliminates exposed sealants at critical transitions (less maintenance).
- Dramatically reduces air infiltration through pressure equalization as well as more effective air barrier placement.
- Eliminate mold/mildew from interior space.
- Back ventilation allows for quick moisture evaporation, thereby extending the life of the cladding, insulation, subframing.
- Air space behind the claddings, dissipates radiant heat through the chimney effect.
- Year-round installation, since all parts are mechanically fastened.